There have been many acclaimed hunts that been made by herds of female hunters for the perfect nude lipstick shade. But somehow we always overlook the importance of finding that perfect red lipstick to wear to that special occasion.
Well, I think I have been accidentally been lucky and found three! I had a perfect red shade since two years, but just forgot about it till recently it was my friend, Parnika’s wedding and I had to wear a red lip. Without further adieu, it’s time for show and tell!
Rouge A Levres 16 Scarlet Rouge by Tom Ford
As the name suggests, this shade is more on the dark/scarlet side of red. This had looked like a mumsy red (Errr… there are mumsy lipstick colours, I assure you!) when I had seen it in the bullet at Harrod’s beauty hall. But when I tried it on, oh…I was sold!
- The packaging is the beautiful black and gold casing that Tom Ford is associated with, and there is ‘TF’ embossed on the lipstick cap.
- The outer casing and the lipstick cap are magnetic and is thus very easy to open and close.
- It has a soft matte finish but still feels very hydrating on the lips, unlike many other matte lipsticks.
- The colour is a very warm red colour which is perfect for the autumn and winter months when you gravitate towards darker lip shades. It is very pigmented and you can achieve the perfect red with a single swipe.
- The lipstick has a decent staying power of around 3.5 hours on me and leaves an even red stain behind as it gradually wears away. So no fear of the horrible uneven red stain on your lips!
- The texture/formula of this lipstick is very creamy and thus very easy to wear.
- To be honest, I cannot seem to find any cons with this one, except perhaps the hefty price tag that all Tom Ford products come with!
Perfect Rouge RD553 by Shiseido
This was one of my airport duty-free buys. Yes, I am guilty of browsing through the beauty aisles and making that sometimes not required purchase in my ’30 minutes of boredom before the flight’ time.
But, this lipstick is an exception. I really love this colour. I had not known that Shiseido had such great lipstick formulas and am guilty of completely overlooking the brand till very recently.
- The packaging for this lipstick is an all black sleek casing with ‘Shiseido’ written along the side.
- This lipstick has a very easy everyday wearable red colour with coral undertones and is very build-able.
- It is very pigmented and does not need more than two swipes to get a full blast of beautiful red colour.
- This lipstick has a very creamy finish, very similar to the ‘cremesheen’ finish in Mac.
- The staying power is not very long lasting with this lipstick. It lasted for around 2 hours on my lips.
- This lipstick has a very hydrating and buttery formula and it glides on the lips soo easily…almost feels like magic. Although, it is very creamy the colour does not bleed which is a great plus point.
- Not very long staying power from this one, but this is such an easy everyday colour that I still get the most use of this lipstick out of the three shades.
Diorfic 014 Dolce Vita Red by Christian Dior
“Specially formulated for a perfect balance between hold and comfort, Diorfic glides on with a rich texture and intense, long-lasting colour.”
Last, but not the least is the lipstick that I had actually bought with my friend Parnika when we had gone for a makeover session with the Dior makeup artists at Selfridges as a fun activity. It was the red shade that the makeup artist had used on me. Before this, I had never owned a red lipstick as I thought it was a bit too “out there” for me. But this colour changed my opinion about red lipsticks.
It is a very classic red colour with a matte finish. I was not sure it would suit me when I saw the colour in the bullet, but I changed my mind as soon as I saw the result.
- The packaging is a luxurious gold casing with Christian Dior embossed on it.
- The packaging has that satisfying click sound when you close it.
- It has a soft(ish) matte finish so it has a long staying power, so no frequent reapplying regime required!
- It is a classic red colour but has an orange undertone, so it would suit most skin tones. It is highly pigment and you just need one swipe to get the full colour effect.
- It has a smooth texture and it is very easy to apply on your lips.
- This lipstick has a very long staying power and it stayed for around 4 hours on my lips with a gradual fading, thus leaving an even red stain on your lips.
- The packaging is amazing apart from the fact that it is a bit chunky so it doesn’t fit inside my lipstick stand. But for a lipstick that looks so pretty, this con can be easily overlooked.